Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Parent's Impact

Luke 15:20
An he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.

Here is a devotional from Dr. David Jeremiah

One writer I read said that the way parents treat their children in daily living has more impact on their children's spiritual development than t he family's religious practices, including having a family altar, reading the Bible together, and attending church services regularly.

Parenting s a difficult Job. But we need to remember that when the rebellious son in Luke 15 came to himself, he found a loving father waiting for him at home. That father had probably made mistakes in his parenting, but he did not stop loving either of his two sons--and the younger son, at least, knew it.

Sometimes the stress of parenting makes us want to stop loving and leave. But if we remain, and continue to love, we do more negate the chances of rebellion in our children than anything we could ever do. may God help us to love our children as He loves us.


Over the past few weeks I have sometimes just wanted to give up. Discipline is hard and I don't like to do it. After reading this devotion this morning I was convicted about how I am treating my children. It is really hard for me to be nice to them when I am so aggravated at them. (Can I get a witness) Anyway, my treatment of them should example God's treatment of us not based upon how I am feeling at the time. I hope this article might encourage someone today that have kids that aren't always perfect just like mine.

Dear Lord
Please allow me to show your love to those around me especially my children. Help me not to hold grudges for past wrong. Help me to show forgiveness just like you have forgiven me. Help me not to choose the path of least resistant but to guide my children in the right path. Help me to obey you so that I will the right example for them. Help me to love unconditionally just as you do. In your name I pray.

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

Riley asked me today if the clouds cried because God was sad about all the bad sinners. I told him no. Then he asked how many sins you have to do before you went to hell. & I told him that you only had to sin one time to go to hell. He said "oh dear". I guess that comment let me know FOR SURE that Riley was not a perfect little angel after all! I'm so suprised!