Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Stealing - No Not MEEEEEE

This weekend we went camping in Huntsville, which I will post a few pictures later. On Sunday we had to pick our dog up from my parents. She doesn't do well in the heat so they babysitted for us. We went to church at Osage. My dad preached on Annanias and Sapphire. (that could be spelled wrong). He talked about stealing from God. The subject of tithing came up. Which by the way I am a big fan of. I can't tell you the times that God has overly provided what we needed which I am convinced is due to us tithing. Working for the the church has totally messed up how I see people. For Christians and even leaders in the church to not follow God in this area is beyond me. Okay now back to the subject of me. The whole tithing thing has never been difficult for me. Growing up being taught that the first ten percent is God, well it was just an automatic thing. I can totally see how this could be a hard concept for a new christian. Well in his sermon he talked about God using a man to call out their deceit. So I am going to start listing names of everyone I know that doesn't tithe. Are you breathing hard. I am just kidding. I would never do that. That would be kinda funny though. If that made you nervous, shame on you, you should start tithing. Anyway God killed them for their deceit. WHOA. Now that is kinda scary. Now off the tithing subject and back to stealing from God. I am reading a book called the frazzled female. In this book she talks about stealing from God. No this couldn't be me could it. I tithe. She talks about stealing time from God. OOOOH My quite times stinks. I try to read the Bible but usually my mind is going in a thousand different directions. Well if you know me very well you know that my mind is constantly going in different directions. It is the same way in my time spent with God. You know if I am talking to a friend they can't really tell what is going on in my mind but I can't hide it from God. Whats a girl to do.

Psalm 32: 1-6 from the message
Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be - you get a fresh start, your slate's wiped clean.

Count yourself lucky - God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him.

When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans.

The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up.

Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God." Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared.

These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched.


Lord, please forgive where I have stolen time from you. The time that you wanted to spend with me I gave to another. Please clean my plate. Let me start anew. I have looked down upon others for stealing your money and I have been no better by stealing your time. Please help me to have a desire to be with you. Help me to have a thirst for your word.

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

I have been really bummed these last few months, I don't have the energy to make sure I have cash to hide in the offering plate (you know, left hand right hand thing) I have been having to write checks, and I even got a statement this time!!! GOD FORBIB!! My grandpa would be mortified!!

I have been feeling really bad about my quiet time lately too. I have always taken time in the evening after the boys hit the sack (most of the time in the bath), but the last few months I have been going to sleep by like 8:45 or 9ish so I don't take the time as often as I should...thanks for the reminder.