Monday, October 13, 2008

Known For What I Have Done

Last week somewhere I heard this saying "I want others to know me for what I have done not for what I have not done." I have been thinking a lot about this over the past week. I wonder what others think when they hear my name. I want to be thought of as a servant. Someone who lifts others up. I don't want to be the Debbie Downer. I want to be the person who finds the positive in each situation and person. I want to be the person who first speaks to a visitor and makes them feel welcome when they come to church for the first time. I want to be that person that others see Jesus in. I don't want to be the person that you can't depend on the one that finds the negative in everything or anyone around them. Or that person who never chooses to find a place to serve others. When someone needs a favor I want to be the first person that is thought of.

Last night in our small group we were talking about how God is known for his love and how he provides for us each day and why would we ever question this. I am sure this is a lack of faith. This one area that I need to grow in. To give my finances to the Lord. I found some verses this morning that spoke to me.
Proverbs 13:7
There is one who pretends to be rich, but has nothing ; Another pretends to be poor, but has great wealth.
11.
Wealth obtained by fraud dwindles, But the one who gathers by labor increases it.
22.
A good man leaves an inheritance to his children's children, And the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous.
I Chronicles 29:12
Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all.

There is one thing that I am sure of. The Lord has blessed us abundantly. I think about the stuff he has given us and I am overwhelmed. The other day someone mentioned that they liked our house and I thought to myself the Lord gave us this house so that we could use it to serve others. How good of a job are we doing? Last week the Lord blessed me with a little more work. He is so amazing. He new I was a little concerned with all the money I am giving to the doctors these days and He laid the money in my lap. He is so good. Why would I ever doubt his provision when time and time again he provides over and above what we need. With the financial market the way it is many are overwhelmed with fear but I serve a very big God that can and does provide everything we need to fulfill his purpose.

No comments: