Friday, July 31, 2009

The Word

We have had a rule this summer in our house. Well actually we have had several but at the very first of the summer we made it a rule that before we watched TV or played video games we had to have our teeth brushed and have read our Bible. Clean teeth and reading the Bible are essential to starting your day right??? Anyway one of the boys was complaining about something and we started talking about how some people don't even get to have a Bible much less read it every day. That got me to thinking. Actually my brain is constantly running about something. That is the reason it is 5AM and I am on the computer typing away. It my own words can put me back to sleep I can only imagine what it does to those who choose to read them. hahaha

Anyway I have been thinking a lot lately about the value we put on the Word of God. The other morning I happened upon this verse. Proverbs 13:13 - He who despises the Word will be destroyed. But he who fears the commandment will be rewarded.

Here is just a little information that I thought was interesting.
The definition of Despise - 1. to look down on with contempt and scorn or 2. to regard with dislike or repugnance.
Despise Synonyms:
scorn, disdain, contemn, hate, look down on, look down upon, spurn, sneer at, flout, dislike, loathe, detest, abhor; see also hate 1.
despise implies a strong emotional response toward that which one looks down upon with contempt or aversion to despise a hypocrite; to scorn is to feel indignation toward or deep contempt for, often with the implication of rejection or refusal to scorn the offer of a bribe; disdain implies a haughty or arrogant contempt for what one considers beneath one's dignity to disdain flattery; contemn, chiefly a literary word, implies a vehement disapproval of a person or thing as base, vile, or despicable See also syn. study at hate

Do I despise the word. Do I really give it value or do I look down upon it with contempt. Another verse then comes to mind. Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Do I truly believe this? Does it apply to my life? Does it really have all the answers?

The other day I was praying with a friend. We were praying for our church. She had a form where you pray scriptures. It was the same format at the Moms In Touch prayer times we just customized it to be praying for our church instead of the schools. Anyway we mostly were praying for guidance. By the way their are a lot of scriptures in the Bible about this.

So I really think it worked. I know, I think I sound surprised. It wasn't that everything has changed and is perfect after the prayer time but their is a peace present. Our children's ministry is making some big decisions right now and you know what. God can guide us. The scripture tells us that he will guide those who ask. God word is true. I always say that I believe everything the Bible says but my actions usually prove that I don't. Such as not thinking that God can guide us. He can make light to our paths.

So I think I have babbled on enough. I just wanted to praise God for showing himself to me through that prayer time. God's Word is true and it can lead us through every situation.

Now if I can just impart these values onto my children that will be great. Psalms 119:11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

Sometimes I really wonder if it's the quantity or the quality. I can't remember much of anything from the Bible I learned when I was little (I mean word for word)...except for the ones we went over and over and over and over for years. I still know those. I think with the boys we r going to really work on a few big chunks that they will remember forever rather than 100's of little ones here and there that they will remember till tomorrow.