Friday, September 12, 2008

Lessons in Luke 5 - Immediately

How many times do I sit around wondering if I should do something. You know those time when you think you have heard God's voice but you are not for sure you want to respond or you want to wait a while to see if he ask anyone else to do it first. In Luke 5 I was struck by the idea of how they did not put off what they were called to do. As soon as Peter realized who Jesus was he followed him as soon as the crippled man was healed he got up (He said to the paralyzed man, "I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home." 25 Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God.) That started me to thinking. How many times is immediately used in the Bible. Here are a few of the times I found.

Mr 5:42 -
Immediately the girl stood up and walked around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished.

Mr 5:29 -
Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

Mr 9:24 -
Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

Lu 1:64 -
Immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue was loosed, and he began to speak, praising God.

Lu 5:13 -
Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" And immediately the leprosy left him.

Lu 5:25 -
Immediately he stood up in front of them, took what he had been lying on and went home praising God.

Lu 8:44 -
She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.

Lu 13:13 -
Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.

Lu 18:43 -
Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.

Lu 19:5 -
When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today."

These are just a few instances of when people understood who Jesus really was their response was immediate. Is my lack of response or delay of response because I don't see Jesus for who he really is or I haven't let him touch my life in a way that I truly understand his power and awesomeness (not for sure if that is really a word).

No comments: