Monday, September 8, 2008

Teaching 4's & 5's

Well yesterday was our first Sunday teaching the 4s & 5s. The kids were really good. One little boy kept on telling me he was having a good time. I think he was trying to encourage me in his own little way. It was very sweet. We had eight and I know of two or three regulars that were not there so it looks like we are in for a big group this year.
I was starting on my lesson for next week and came across something really interesting. Luke 5 is the story of Jesus and Simon Peter in the fishing boats. Peter had been fishing all nights with his buddies and they had not caught anything. Jesus uses his boat for a while to teach the people and then he tells Simon to go back out and fish some more. They catch so many fish they have to call some more friends out there to help them get all the fish in. Here is where I think the interesting part comes in. "When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus knees and said " Go away from me, Lord: I am a sinful man"". This is a quote from my Sunday School book "As was always true when Peter really saw Jesus, he truly saw himself also, becoming aware of his own sinfulness." I was thinking, if I think I am okay, that I am not that bad is this because I truly don't see who Jesus is. I think most of the time I am comparing myself to the world instead of to our true standard, the perfect son of God, Jesus Christ himself. I am really not very good at all.

2 comments:

Cassie said... said...

thanks for the reminder. It has been a real eye opener as I get used to being back in the "world" again.

Meredith said...

Sometimes the biggest lessons come from the simplest stories.